How you should select an attorney to help you if you’ve been injured and why it is important.
Today, everyone routinely sees ads for lawyers on T.V. In fact, our firm advertises.
Should you hire a lawyer based solely on the fact that they advertise on T.V., perhaps they have a slogan or a catchy, easy to remember telephone number. Is that a reason to hire a lawyer to represent you when you have been hurt?
The answer is NO.
Think of hiring a lawyer when you have been injured and need help, similarly to hiring a doctor if you need surgery. Would you hire a doctor because he or she had a catchy name or a catchy telephone number? I doubt it.
You would look at the doctor’s credentials. How many similar cases has she or he done and with what success rate. Do you like the doctor? Do you feel that the doctor has your best interest at heart? What is the doctor going to do for you? How will your bill be paid?
Perhaps most important is: what are the doctor’s credentials? Lawyers, too, have credentials. They must be admitted to practice in the bar of their state to be able to have an office, but that is only a minimum qualification. You need to find out how are they regarded by their peers, including lawyers that they routinely are up against. What types of recommendations should you look for if you are going to hire an attorney?
Hiring an Attorney, The Questions You Need To Ask.
- Have they been peer review rated to have what is known as an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell? This means that their peers have judged that they have the highest ranking for both ability (A) and the highest ranking for ethics (V).
- Have they been selected by their peers for other rating entities including, for example, Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, Litigation Counsel of America, Knights of the Bar, or have they been selected to membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates?
- Are they an expert in their field? This may be difficult to determine because everyone says they’re the best at what they do. Do they continue to contribute to the legal community by teaching seminars? Are they affiliated with local universities or law schools? An expert will be willing to prove it in a classroom.
- Have they handled a case like yours before? If so, how many and with what success. If you have been involved in an automobile collision, will they help you with your no-fault processing or do they just want to handle your injury claim and not help you with the day-to-day things that you will most need help with, such as your medical bills and lost wages.
- Do they have sufficient support staff to help you so that when you call the office you can talk to a person? Do they return telephone calls within 24 hours? Do you like the office?
- How are the fees going to be paid? Is the attorney going to handle your case on a contingency fee basis. Many lawyers do not know that the rules of the contingency fee changed in our area on March 4, 2014. You now have the option to choose between the lawyer paying all of the expenses in return for a one-third fee on the gross recovery, or you being responsible for the expenses of the litigation (but not the fee if not successful) in return for the lawyer earning one-third of the net recovery. Ask any attorney that you hire about that.
So do not stop and reach for the telephone when you merely see an ad on T.V. Examine the lawyer’s credentials, examine their experience, and examine what their fellow attorneys think of them.
We invite you to examine our credentials here at our website at greenereid.com. For over 36 years, Greene & Reid has been protecting the victims of negligence in New York.
» Click for a FREE Consultation
If you or a loved one has been injured because of someone else’s negligence, call on the New York personal injury lawyers of Greene & Reid. Call us toll free at (800) 886-9665 or simply complete a free online consultation form, and one of our attorneys will contact you to discuss your accident and answer your questions, free of charge. Greene & Reid has successfully advocated for clients in Cortland, Syracuse, andWatertown.
Our New York personal injury lawyers handle cases in the areas of auto accident, birth injury, boating accident, brain injury, consumer fraud, drug injuries, dog bites, insurance disputes, motorcycle accident, nursing home abuse, slip and fall accident, or wrongful death.